Questions Not to Ask a PCV Invitee

Since announcing I've accepted a Peace Corps Invitation I have received so many questions! While most questions come from a place of genuine interest and sincerity every once in a while I get thrown a curveball like some of these gems below. I give you Questions Not to Ask a Peace Corps Invitee:

1) Are you going to have to pee in a bucket? I don't know, honestly it might happen. Does that gross you out? Hey I might even have to poop in a latrine if we're you really want to know. I mean I hope this isn't the case but I need to be prepared for anything right?

2) Will there be people there? Like wut??? Do you think they will just throw me into a deserted village and say good luck. Yes, of course, there will be Myanmar people there and hey maybe a few Americans too.

3) But why? I seriously do not answer these questions because I have yet to meet someone who asks this question from a place of sincerity and to be blunt if you ask me this without sincerity you don't deserve a genuine answer.

4) Oh so you are going to be a missionary? Or just some general blanket statement about mission work, etc. I usually don't have the heart to correct people on this, especially with Mississippi being such a religious, conservative state. But when I do, it usually goes like "Hmm nope ...insert statement here about PC being a SECULAR GOVERNMENT SUPPORT PROGRAM i.e no religion involved. Then I get asked Well I'm sure you can still bring up Christianity and after I've hit my head on the wall about five times. I state well no prostelgzing is allowed and move on with the conversation.

5) So like whose paying for this? Truthfully YOU and the taxes you pay every year that support such government programs. That tends to shut up the haters.

6) Do you really feel prepared to teach a classroom of 50+ students? Ouch hurt my ego why don't you and what is your point again? To question my motives or capabilities?

7) But won't you miss your family and friends? Okay real talk here, this question should probably be #1 because I get asked this question ALL THE TIME. This question always hits me the hardest because of course I will, duh, and it really pains me to think about all the important milestones and events I'll miss during my 27 months abroad. I'll miss weddings and birthdays and Christmases and it doesn't help that I'm leaving my dad and granddad who are both recovering from heart surgery and I have had to share some of that responsibility with taking care of loved ones. But at the same time I have to take a step back and remember my goals and what I aspire for my life and Peace Corps really is a big stepping stone for that. And then I get all cheesy and start singing Tangled's "When will my life begin?" (because really how underrated is that song to all 20 somethings' recent graduates who have no clue what they are doing with their life?). So yes I am going to miss my family and as tough as this question is I smile, nod my head, and say Of course, this is a big adventure.

No comments

Post a Comment