U Bein Bridge

The Longest and Oldest Teakwood Bridge in the World

They say third times the charm right? Well what about four times? What's so significant about that? I have visited U Bein Bridge in Mandalay a total of four times. The first time I visited on a full moon day with community members. Full Moon Days are considered their own holidays on the Buddhist Calendar so I more or less was sandwiched amongst droves of locals on a 169 year teakwood bridge with absolutely no railings and rickety floorboards. I quickly made a swift turnaround before I hardly got 1/4 of the way along. The second time I visited with my then boyfriend and another volunteer. This time was filled with us setting our own pace and a romantic slow waltz on the bridge to some poorly recorded Myanmar music. But yet again I didn't make it all the way along. We made it about halfway and with the tide low we hopped down and took the marsh walk back. What I didn't know at the time was the superstition of couples and this bridge. Apparently, if you don't walk all the way to the end with your significant other, you can expect to break up pretty soon. I mean I don't like to put my belief in superstitions but was this was true? Well maybe. Ha.
The third time I had developed an insane fear of rickety bridges and immediately plopped straight down on a bench and chatted with the locals while my companions raced to the end. I was being accompanied with some new work colleagues and didn't want to embarrass myself with my shaky legs and grimaced painful reassurances that "Yes, I'm fine. You can go ahead." Well when I was given the opportunity to visit the bridge one more time I had to do it. I had to walk to the end. With the help of my sweet friend, Aisha, I walked all the way to the end. Obviously she held my hand the whole way and gave me sweet encouraging words that only boosted my confidence the whole time. But I did it! I conquered the bridge that had gave me a fear of bridges in the first place!




So there you have it. I walked across a scary beautiful historic bridge in Myanmar after three disastrous attempts. You'd think of all the visits I've made to U Bein Bridge it would be my favorite place in Myanmar but it really isn't. There is no denying its beauty and splendor though. And U Bein Bridge is where I fell in love with portrait photography. I hope you like this sweet pictures of my stunning friends. Click on each image for a better look.

No comments

Post a Comment