A Welcome Letter to MM4

For a while now and a while to come you haven’t and won’t be able to plant your feet. 


Hello MM4!

I hope these words find you well. I write this from my house in Myanmar, a country I have learned to call home. I spent the day cleaning my house of the dust that never goes away, washing my clothes by hand from an adventurous weekend spent with Peace Corps friends, waving hi to my students as I passed them on the street when I went to go buy lentils to make hummus. I sat around with ten or so women while I spoke two languages I have been learning since being here and I ate two bowls of rice today, both times with my hand. I went to the bathroom over a hole and I showered with a bucket. I held a baby and I spent a few hours watching Game of Thrones.

For a while now and a while to come you haven’t and won’t be able to plant your feet. But my words above are meant as a breath into how eventually you will have a moment where you look around at your life and realize how normal it all feels. But it takes a minute to get there. No one here will tell you that this has been rainbows and sunshine. But we can tell you a 100 moments that left us with a glimmer in our eyes because being here, doing this work, living with the community, speaking their languages, and eating their food has filled our souls with the deepest gratitude. I catch myself weekly looking around and trying to hold onto the feeling of knowing that I am living my dream. 

For the difficulties to come, I will say lean in to what you want to resist. This country, people, and conditions will uncover triggers you didn’t know you had and it will rip open wounds you thought you healed. I have withstood the hardships by continually trying to evolve my mindset and putting increased emphasis on my own mental health.The work here is not just done at school or your community. The two years to follow are just as much about learning to love yourself, being patient with yourself, and opening your arms at times when you really just want to turn your back. You will be depressed, lonely, feeling like you aren’t enough, but you are not alone. You gain family when you step off the airplane- peace corps fam and soon enough a Myanmar family or two will take you under their wing. People are here to help you, to listen, and to validate you.

It really is a good life. I sincerely welcome you to Myanmar, Peace Corps, and to the story that you get to start writing for yourself here.

Be open minded. Be patient. Drink water. Put on the bug spray. And get ready to sweat...

Much love,

Shannon

The two years to follow are just as much about learning to love yourself, being patient with yourself, and opening your arms at times when you really just want to turn your back. 

Shannon is an MM3 Volunteer Serving in Mon State. Thanks for sharing a part of your story!

No comments

Post a Comment