Give and Take

This is how we walk a fine line of cultural give and take.

My relationship with my principal can be challenging.

Here is a woman personally charged with my safety and well-being (and daily calls about my whereabouts). And I am young independent American woman who likes to push her limits. 

Here is a woman who believes in high power authority (a top down approach). And I am a stubborn information seeker who asks “but why” instead of “yes I’ll do.” 

Here is a woman who wants progress for her school and students (but needs to see immediate results). And I am believer in the long haul, no corners cut approach. 

Here is a woman who demands respect and for others to blindly follow her will. And I am a woman who believes that respect is not a given and it must be earned. 

Here is a woman who sees me as her Myanmar daughter (and expects me to behave as one). And I am trying to teach her what it means to have a quick witted, strong willed, devoted American daughter instead.

No comments

Post a Comment