My 24th Year


Let’s start with the obvious.
I accepted a job with the Peace Corps.
I moved half way around the world.
I explained 40,000 times that Myanmar and Burma are the same place.
I taught 600+ kids, and gave high fives to nearly 2,000.
I defended my right that I do not and will not eat fish nearly every day.
I learned that every refusal must be followed with an explanation.
I carried out my day in a different language and a lot of hand gestures.
I started a relationship. A real mature one, with a lot of personal firsts for me. One of them being my first long distance relationship because who doesn’t like a challenge right?
My boyfriend and I slow danced on a 169 year old bridge to poorly recorded Myanmar music from a strangers outdated phone but it was romantic all the same.
I became an aunt....again.
I walked or as they would see it got walked to school everyday by the most precious yet persistent neighbors.
I taught my persistent neighbors what it means to be rude and polite. But more practically, if my door is shut you cannot scream Hello!!! at my house.
I ate egg, banana, and bread for breakfast.
I put my whole community in chuckles because I ate egg, banana, and bread for breakfast.
I traded my lazy morning sleep-ins for 6am rise and shine walks with a group of women in their late 50s.
I discovered what I want to do after Peace Corps.
Scratch that. I’m still just as confused.
I walked 35 miles in three days across Shan state and saw the most beautiful Myanmar landscapes.
I witnessed close to 365 Myanmar sunsets and was never once disappointed.
I understood a place like Myanmar.
I laughed at my understanding of Myanmar and was even more confused by its complexities.
I found Myanmar highways to be so similar to Mississippi I can forget where I am.
I’ve been reminded by elephant parades that this is not in fact Mississippi.
I've woken up more than once thinking I was in my bed back at home.
I made interpretive art with a mosquito net and too much free time.
One day all I did was look for sliced bread. But it was a Sunday and bread isn't delivered until Monday.
I’ve been utterly bewildered by Myanmar hospitality.
I’ve been utterly homesick and Myanmar hospitality only made it more suffocating.
I broke close to 10 pairs of sandals, but they had it coming.
I made a home out of concrete slabs, pictures, and tape.
I forgot my students names even though they told me every day for a month.
I championed my counterparts and the student centered changes they have made.
I cried over the absent minded use of corporal punishment in schools and it’s lingering effects on Myanmar’s youth.
I slept next to my counterpart under a twin sized mosquito net on a monastery floor and then I woke up with my face half an inch from hers.
I took fully clothed bucket showers outside at a monastery with 8 other women.
I took not so fully clothed frigid ice cold bucket showers at a monastery in Shan state with my boyfriend but there was a partition and it was past the monks bed time.
We then laughed that despite being in Myanmar for 6+ months we could so absentmindedly yet innocently make such a big cultural faux pas.
I used the phrase Kya ma yei in ga lei sa ya ma to steal market deals/for free entrance to an attraction/to introduce myself to my neighbors.
I lived in a poor Myanmar neighborhood amongst the most hospitable people, who told me every time I left my water pump running and I flooded their backyard but they still invited me over for le phet thou that afternoon.
I made up a game of catching “kisses” thrown over my fence by adorable primary students as my compromise to kisses on the cheek, personal space, and good hygiene.
I've been sick with food poisoning/diarrhea/food intolerance more times than I can count.
Christmas morning I laid on a hostel’s tile bathroom floor almost “double dragoning”
I learned that “double dragoning” is the deadly, simultaneous combination of diarrhea and vomit and it’s a pcv rite of passage.
I could tell where you every available squatty potty is from the bottom to the top of Mandalay Hill, but I can’t tell you which stranger you will have to charm so you can borrow their shoes.
I opened an English resource room that has so much potential to encourage and build students English capacity.
I’ve seen more lightbulb moments than I could imagine.
I corrected good afternoons that were said at 8am.
And I applauded every please, thank you, and your welcome no matter it’s misusage.
I made friends. Some of them know English, some of them don’t. Some of them know how to walk, and some of them don’t.
And nearly every day, I had moments where I questioned my place here.
And nearly every day, I had moments where I felt with such certainty that I’m exactly where I need to be.

2 comments